Monday, September 8, 2014

ART HIST 1A03: Introduction (Couse Objectives)

We begin ART HIST 1A03 by addressing some objectives and questions regarding the design of the course. Here are the key 'big' questions from our meeting today:

1. Why is the title of the course 'World Art and Cultural Heritage'? How is this title different from 'Art History'?

2. What can I expect to learn in 1A03 and how will it help me to land that awesome job when I graduate?


Some more basic questions:


1. Is ART HIST 1AA3 (Term 2)  a continuation of this course?

2. When do the tutorials begin and do I have to attend?

3. I'm not an Art History major. Will I be able to handle the material in this course?

4. Why is the course text so #?$%! expensive ??!!

5. I've heard my instructor likes Adventure Time and occasionally jokes around in class. This must mean that this is a bird course. Is that correct?


You will note that in my responses to some of these questions I emphasize the importance of student engagement with the material. Attending the lectures and tutorials are essential if you wish to perform well in this course. The text and lectures offer information and the perspectives of the author and instructor but the real value of the course rests with YOUR critical interpretation of this material. In the end it doesn't matter if you are majoring in Art, Art History, Engineering, Business, Health Sciences or any other field... it all comes down to what YOU make of it. As you can probably tell, I have strong opinions about education and methods of teaching and I encourage students to be wary of a passive-receptive approach to learning. For a more in-depth discussion on this matter have a look at this recent text I wrote in response to some concerns of one of my former students...

Some Thoughts on the State of Higher Education (Part 1: MOOCs)

Those of you who are interested in extending your connections with art history and visual culture may also want to check my Slippers's Picks page on facebook:

Slippers's Picks

More to follow...



No comments:

Post a Comment